Cody Reed

Cody was a walk-on athlete for the NAU cross country and track team from 2010 to 2015. The mountains, forests, high altitude, and running trails are what attracted him to Flagstaff when choosing a college to attend. During his time at NAU he studied mechanical engineering and primarily competed in the steeplechase and 5k. Now that his collegiate running career is over, he’s turned to competing in trail ultramarathons with fellow TRF pro Jim Walmsley.

When I’m not training or competing, I love to: Work on and ride my motorcycle.

Something that very few people know about me is: I love cooking and baking. Chocolate chip cookies from scratch are my favorite and I have my own recipe for them because nothing is more disappointing than bad chocolate chip cookies. I think a lot of my success can be attributed to another one of my recipes, the bean pie. Message me for details.

A good title for my autobiography would be: “Do it live”

My favorite moment or achievement to date is: 2014 NCAA Cross Country National Championships

The toughest moment I’ve ever experienced in a race is: 2016 Miwok 100k. This was my first ultramarathon ever. I knew nothing about having to run this far or for this long. I was leading until mile 35 when I was passed by the second-place runner. At this spot the weather was also getting worse; the temperature was dropping, rain started falling, and the wind started blowing. I was totally defeated, but wasn’t about to drop out and not finish. I ended up passing him back 20 miles later at mile 55. I was cruising into the finish as fast as I could so he didn’t catch me again and I missed the last turn to the finish, I thought for sure he would have passed me again and I would lose the race. I made my way back to the turn, down the steep and slippery hill, and crossed the finish line in first! I was so tired and emotionally drained from the whole race I didn’t care though, I just wanted to lie down and have some warm food.

I live in Flagstaff  because: The outdoors, the people, and the altitude

One thing I hope to achieve this year is: Winning the world championships 50k and/or Run Rabbit Run

The event on my bucket list is: John Muir Trail FKT

My pre-race superstition is: During warm-ups, you can’t cross the finish line.

Nathan helps me run stronger and run longer by: I can carry my water and food comfortably for hours while on my training runs

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *