• 200 Ultramarathon Finishes
  • 53 Ultramarathon Victories
  • 30 Course Records
  • 27 100-Mile Finishes
  • 22 JFK 50 Mile Finishes
  • 22 Marathon Finishes
  • 13 Zane Grey 50 Mile Finishes
  • 10 Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim Completions

Ian ran competitively for the cross-country and track teams at Allegheny College (PA). He is a legend in the trail / ultra community having now finished 200 ultras, 27 of which were 100-mile races. In all, Ian has won 53 ultramarathons. Some of his wins include the Massanutten Mountain Trails 100 Mile Run twice and the Superior Trail 100 Mile Run. He’s a two-time, top-ten finisher at the Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run. He’s finished the JFK 50 Mile Run 22 times, placing as high as second twice. He was part of a four-person team that won and set a course record at the Oxfam Hong Kong Trailwalker 100K in 2001. In 2002, he completed the Grand Slam of Ultramarathons by finishing Western States 100 Mile Endurance Run, Vermont 100 Mile, Leadville Trail 100 Mile, and the Wasatch Front 100 Mile in a single summer.

Ian is the lead ultrarunning coach for McMillan Running. He’s an Advisory Board member for the American Trail Running Association (ATRA) and writes a monthly training column for iRunFar.com. What’s more, Ian race directs Flagstaff’s only 100-mile event — the Flagstaff to Grand Canyon Stagecoach Line 100 Mile/55K/Relays.

When I’m not training or competing, I love to: Race direct, write, read and watch movies.

Something that very few people know about me is: My college senior project focused on the reproductive habits of the male earwig.

What first inspired you to push your potential? The fact that I couldn’t make any junior high and high school soccer and volleyball teams. I found that I lacked speed, but had plenty of endurance. I decided to capitalize on this gift.

My favorite athletic moment or achievement to date is: Always my most recent ultramarathon finish.

One thing I hope to achieve this year is: A solid finish at the Bighorn Trail 100 Mile, completing my 14th Zane Grey 50 Mile and a sub-7 hour finish at the JFK 50 Mile.

The event on my bucket list is: Siskiyou Out Back 50K, Strolling Jim & Arkansas Traveler 100 Mile.

My pre-race superstition is: The best breakfast is an iced dirty chai.

Please wait... Please wait...