Jacob Phillips

I started running when I was 10 years old doing a mile loop around the neighborhood with my dad. I continued to run through middle school, high school, and college for Dallas Baptist University. A year after finishing my college career as a miler and half miler I found myself running my first trail race and then subsequent ultras. I am a husband and father, a follower of Jesus, and an avid rock climber.

I can’t sing, I can’t dance, but I can run and that’s how I express myself. It’s my art and my passion. When I run, it’s not just to finish, it’s to make something magical of the moment I’ve been given.

When I’m not training or competing, I love to: Spend time with my wife and daughter out rock climbing, or just spending time with friends.

My “go-to” Nathan product is: SpeedMax Plus

Something that very few people know about me is:  I tried to play ice hockey in fifth grade. Key word here is that I “tried”.  I was horrible.

A good title for my autobiography would be: Grace Not Deserved

My favorite moment or achievement to date is:  Placing second at the Volcanic 50 around Mount St. Helens.

The toughest moment I’ve ever experienced in a race is: The last ten miles of my first ultra, the Franklin Mountain 50k.

I live in Austin Texas because: It’s a great place to live! Love the culture of Austin as well as the many things to do outside.

One thing I hope to achieve this year is: Running a very fast 50 miler and 100k.

The event on my bucket list is:  Western States 100.

My pre-race superstition is: I have to have my coffee in the morning, more for digestive purposes than superstition though!

Nathan helps me run stronger and run longer by: Giving me all the support I need to fuel my body and keep moving no matter the situation!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *