Meghan Arbogast

ULTRARUNNER

Hometown: Cool, CA
Achievements:
  • 10 Western States finishes (9 of which were top ten)
  • 6 top 3 finishes at Waldo 100k
  • Consistent top finishes at Way Too Cool 50k
  • 2 second place finishes at JFK 50 Miler
  • 2 top ten Lake Sonoma 50 finishes
  • World record holder in the 100k in two masters age groups
  • 2000 Olympic Marathon trials qualifier

Meghan “The Queen” Arbogast has been running for more than 28 years, and has been running ultras for about 13. She comes from a high school sports background where running was her least favorite activity. But after becoming a mom at the age of 25, she adopted running as the quickest way to get some exercise. Over time, she picked up running road races, beginning with the 5k, and eventually became addicted to running road marathons.

With the help of her first coach, Meghan qualified for the Olympic Marathon Trials in 2000, and continued to chip away at that distance. She continued to qualify, running in the trials 3 more times.

In 2003, Meghan began her ultra running career with a 50k, and each year added a bit more distance, running her first 100 miler 3 years later. She placed in the top 10 at Western States that year, and continued that placing for 8 years in a row and in 2016 earned the highly coveted 1000 mile buckle this year.

In 2008 she qualified and competed for Team USA in the IAU World 100k Championships and has continued to be on the team since, placing top 10 in the world in all but one time. She currently holds the 50-54 age group world record in the 100k with a time of 7:41. In 2016 at the IAU World 100k Championships as well, Meghan once again set a world record for her new 55-59 age group  this year in 7:58.

This April she competed and completed the Marathon des Sables stage race across the Sahara desert, where she toted a Nathan pack specifically designed for carrying her 7 days supply of food and sleeping bag.

Currently Meghan spends her time training, coaching, and practicing sports massage. She lives in Cool, California, where she can easily jump onto her favorite Western States trail.

When I’m not training or competing, I love to: Play my flute, play with my donkey and goats, garden, coach, and most of all, hang out with my fiancé Mark Laws.

Something that very few people know about me is: I have a 30 year old daughter, and am a widow, but I have built myself a new and fulfilling life in the past 6 years.

A good title for my autobiography would be: Running with Rose Colored Lenses. I am an eternal optimist, no matter how hard I try to be critical or negative. It just isn't me. :-)

What events are you planning to tackle in 2017? Fourmidable 50k USATF National Championships. Lake Sonoma 50, Western States (number 11!), and not sure about the remainder of the year.

The worst moment I’ve ever experienced in a race is: At UTMB in 2014 - I was anemic and couldn't get past mile 50. My only Ultra DNF.

One thing I hope to achieve this year is: A strong finish at UTMB.

The event on my bucket list is: Hard Rock 100

My pre-race superstition is: No broccoli the night before a race.

Nathan helps me run stronger and run longer by: Providing great hydration packs that don't bounce or chafe, that feel like an extension of my body.

Please wait... Please wait...